- In Mariupol, the town hall asks for help while residents ” start to starve inside the citye”. They would be, according to Volodymyr Zelensky, nearly 100,000 to be stuck there. Ramzan Kadyrov, the leader of the Russian republic of Chechnya, assured Thursday that his forces had taken the town hall, before backpedaling and admitting that it was only an administrative building on the outskirts.
- Dozens of people fled fighting in kyiv on Thursday in an area Ukraine says it recaptured from Russia. Ukrainian forces are conducting “effective and limited counterattacks to relieve the pressure on kyiv” albeit on a smaller scale than Ukrainian officials claim, the ISW said in its latest daily report on Thursday. The Ukrainian navy also claimed to have destroyed a Russian troop transport ship anchored in the port of Berdiansk, a town near Mariupol on the Sea of Azov.
- In Kharkiv (in the North-East), at least six civilians were killed, and fifteen others wounded, in a bombardment, according to the regional governor. The strike hit a post office near where residents were receiving humanitarian aid, he said, denouncing a new “crime of the Russian occupiers”.
- In Rubizhne, near Luhansk, at least four people died, including two children, and six others were injured in Russian strikes, the region’s governor said on Thursday. The balance sheet may be “much superior”he said, accusing the Russians of using phosphorus bombs. President Zelensky judges that “the risk of large-scale use of chemical weapons by Russia on the territory of Ukraine is very real”.
- Joe Biden on Thursday declined to confirm whether intelligence services had any information on the deployment of chemical weapons by Vladimir Putin. But he promises a ” response “ of NATO in the event of ” appeal “ to these weapons (without specifying its nature).
- Washington announced new financial sanctions against Russia, aimed at the Russian political and economic world. These measures, which involve in particular a freezing of assets in the United States, concern 328 deputies of the Duma and the institution itself. The countries of the G7 and the European Union will also sanction any transaction involving gold reserves of Russia, to prevent Moscow from circumventing the financial isolation measures taken by the West, according to the White House.
- Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyurged NATO to provide his country “unrestricted military aid”. The Atlantic Alliance has announced that it will supply Ukraine protective equipment against chemical, biological and nuclear threats and will also protect its forces deployed on the eastern flank against these threats.
- The General Assembly of theUNwhich brings together 193 states, adopted on Thursday by an overwhelming majority of 140 votes a new resolution who “requires” from Russia one stop ” immediate “ of the war in Ukraine.
- More than 3.5 million people fled Ukraine since the start of the war, according to the United Nations tally published on Tuesday.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine:
Story. In Brussels, Westerners united but helpless in the face of the war in Ukraine
Report. On the Black Sea coast: “We love our freedom, we will fight for it”
Chat. “There is no doubt that civilians are targeted by Russian strikes” for Emmanuel Grynspan, back from Ukraine.
Report. “To be honest, I just want to go far, far away from here” : in Lviv, an orphanage in the war.
Decryptions. What are the white phosphorus bombs, these weapons that the Russians are accused of having used?
Letter of… In China, supporters of Ukraine do not let themselves be fooled
You can find our live yesterday on this link.